Thursday, August 18, 2011

My thoughts on the GMAT

I took the GMAT early last year. For the record, I scored a 770 and a 6.0 AWA. I don't think I could give a full-on "debrief" since it's been so long since I took the test, but below are some of the most striking tips I remember from my preparation. These are broken down section by section.

Verbal
  • Sentence completion: Don't read the first choice. It's completely redundant with what's in the stimulus.
  • Logical reasoning: Don't just figure out why the choice you picked is right; also look through the other answer choices and figure out why they were all wrong.
  • Reading comprehension: Read the entire passage before answering any questions. Your patience will be rewarded.
Quantitative
  • Read each question three times. Twice before you actually begin solving, and once after you select your choice and you're ready to click the "next" button. This last one has saved my ass so many times, it's not even funny.
  • If you're the kind who solves problems quickly but makes mistakes easily (I'm looking at you, engineering majors), consider doing each problem twice.
  • This next one isn't anything to take any direct action against, but keep in your head the fact that almost every question has a "trick" answer, one that many people will pick but is actually wrong. As you get to the harder questions, be attuned to the possibility of that trick answer.
AWA
  • Read this guide from the GMATClub Forums.
  • There's an unintended correlation between length and score; try to write at least 5 paragraphs for both essays (an introduction, 3+ body paragraphs, and a clear conclusion).
  • Typo's don't matter as much as you think. I knowingly had several in both of my essays and didn't have enough time to fix them, and I got a 6.0.

Following the above tips definitely helped me get my 770. But to be honest, you can't really internalize these tips unless you devote yourself to effective, focused practice. Practice is the best way to improve your score.

I want to post my thoughts on recommendation letters pretty soon.

More later.

4 comments:

  1. Hey this was really helpful. I got a 710 but with substantially higher score on the verbal than quant (even though I have a very quant focused role in my current job). Your tips on the verbal are right on point with my own experience. I know overconfidence is where i stumble in quant I will need to try out your tip on retreading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, congratulations for getting a high score on the GMAT. These are some pretty useful tips, and I'm sure a lot of exam takers-would benefit from all the pointers you put up here. I agree with your first point on answering questions in the Quantitative section: make sure you understand the question completely before answering. Sometimes, there are trick questions that lead you to misinterpret their meaning. Don't fall into that trap.


    Kimi Stremmings

    ReplyDelete
  3. That’s such a nice share. For me it is not easy to find such helpful stuff for my MPRE preparations. I have been trying to find sample MPRE Practice Questions but not able to get any recourses to download the questions. It will be great if anyone here could help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful article and I feel that it is best to write more on this topic. Thank you so much because i learn a lot of ideas about it. Keep posting...Online GMAT Prep Courses

    ReplyDelete